In the season of the various stands of COVID19 the focus has turned to when I get COVID what should I do. We’ve been overwhelmed with this for some time now so I think it’s a great time for a refresher because when it happens to you we tend to forget what to do!
If you are positive for COVID here are a few things that may make it a more tolerable experience.
- Notify your PCP or if you do not have one call us at Brownstone BWell 205-202-5650 because based on your medical history you may be a candidate for Monoclonal Antibodies IV Infusion that gives your body a burst of antibodies to fight the infection. This needs to be done within 10 days of your positive results to be effective so we can point you in the right direction to get what could be a life saving measure. This treatment can decrease your chances of needing hospitalization by 70%!
- Quarantine & Isolate. In your home, set up an isolation area because you will be there for the next 10-14 days. Ideally you will use a separate bathroom than the negative people in your house. If this is not feasible, keep lysol and wipes in the bathroom to sanitize after each use. Also, even though you are home every one should wear a mask if not everyone in the house is positive.
- Monitor your temperature and oxygen levels so that if they are concerning then you will know when to call your doctor or go to the ER.
- Alert those you have been around (less than 6 feet and unmasked) in the last 5 days that they need to be tested as well.
- Hydrate. Water! Water! Water during this time helps dehydration is a common side effect even in mild illness.
- Rest. Listen to your body and rest as much as you can. Your body is fighting a very big internal battle and will need all the energy it can get.
- Stay nourished. Nutrition is key, make sure you are eating a lot of fruits and vegetables to keep your strength up during this time.
- Re-test. Inorder to return to work The City of Birmingham requires a negative PCR test you can get it done at Brownstone BWell located 1700 5th Ave North Birmingham, AL 35203.
Dr. Kre Johnson is a Board Certified Family Medicine Physician Brownstone BWell: Brownstone Healthcare has partnered with the City of Birmingham to offer primary care services to the employees of the City of Birmingham for $0 copayment. This partnership is for preventative services & screenings and sick visits. We partner with your current primary care physician and our goal is to keep you out of the ER and urgent care. We do not share your information with the City of Birmingham. We uphold HIPPA and professional standards. You can visit us at our downtown location 1700 5th Ave N Birmingham, AL 35203 or Trussville: 4643 Camp Coleman Road #117 Trussville, AL 35173 205-202-5650 call for your appointment today.