High blood pressure has been coined the silent killer for a reason- oftentimes people have very high numbers and with absolutely no symptoms at all.
5 tips on High Blood Pressure:
- Check your BP. I recommend a digital arm cuff and not a wrist cuff as they are less accurate. Talk with the pharmacy staff before purchase to make sure the cuff is the right size for your arm to ensure accurate readings.
- Know your Goal. The goal for Blood Pressure reading is LESS THAN 140/90. If your number is GREATER than 140/90 at least twice then you by definition have high blood pressure.
- Know the symptoms. There are a wide array of symptoms anywhere from nothing at all to headaches, chest pain, dizziness, or vision changes.
- Know your family history. Make sure to talk with your relatives to know if your parents, grandparents, or siblings have high blood pressure because family history increases your risk of having high blood pressure as well.
- See your doctor regularly. If you do not have a bp cuff at home or want to make sure it is accurate, get in to see your primary care doctor at least 1-2 a year unless they recommend more. If you do not have a Primary Care Doctor or need routine BP checks give us a call at Brownstone BWell 205-202-5650.
Dr. Kre Johnson is a Board Certified Family Medicine Physician Brownstone BWell: Brownstone Healthcare has partnered with the City of Birmingham to offer primary care services to the employees of the City of Birmingham for $0 copayment. This partnership is for preventative services & screenings and sick visits. We partner with your current primary care physician and our goal is to keep you out of the ER and urgent care. We do not share your information with the City of Birmingham. We uphold HIPPA and professional standards. You can visit us at our downtown location 1700 5th Ave N Birmingham, AL 35203 or Trussville: 4643 Camp Coleman Road #117 Trussville, AL 35173 205-202-5650 call for your appointment today.